Chugwater Wyoming Background

Zoning & Planning

Planning & Zoning Commission Regulations

To facilitate such planning, any city or town can create a planning commission - the number and terms of the members, and any other details relating to its organization and any other details relating to its organization and procedure are determined by the governing body. Commission members are to be appointed by the mayor with the consent of the governing body and except for reasonable expenses, receive no compensation for their services. Subject to its available funds - those appropriated by the governing body or placed at the disposal of the planning commission through gifts or otherwise - the commission can appoint employees and staff necessary for its work and can contract with city planners and other consultants, including agencies or departments of the State, for such service as it requires (15-1-502).

In addition to formulating a master pan and certifying it to the governing body for its adoption, the planning commission is authorized to make reports and recommendations relating to the plan and development of the municipality to public officials and agencies, other organizations, and citizens; and to recommend to executive and legislative officials programs for public improvements and their financing. In general, the commission has all powers necessary to enable it to carry out its functions and promote municipal planning. (15-503, 15-1-507).

Zoning & Planning Board

Clay Enix

LaCynda Fortik

Joe Schirmer

Darlene Trejo

Steve Kelley

Formulation of Master Plan

In preparing the master plan, the planning commission must make careful and comprehensive surveys and studies of the existing conditions and probable future growth of the city (town) and its surrounding districts (15-1-504). If the master plan involves territory outside the city (town), any action taken with respect to such territory must be done with the agreement of the board of county commissioners or the county planning commission or other municipal legislative body concerned. Before adopting the master plan, the commission must hold public hearings. As adopted by the commission and certified to the governing charts, and descriptive and explanatory matter must show the commission’s recommendations for:

  1. The development of streets, bridges, viaducts, parks, waterways and waterfront developments, playgrounds, airports, and other public ways grounds, places, and spaces. The plan may include the general location, character, and extent of the same;
  2. The general location of public buildings and other public property


The governing body of any city or town by ordinance can regulate and restrict:

  1. The height, number of stories, and size of buildings and other structures;
  2. The percentage of the lot that may be occupied
  3. The size of yards, courts, and other open spaces;
    • The density of population; and
    • The location and use of buildings, structures, and land for trade, industry, residence, or other purposes;

And can establish set-back buildings (15-1-60(a)). However, the municipality may not remove or cause to be removed any legally placed outdoor advertising without paying due compensation to the owner (15-8-101).

The governing body can divide the city (town) into districts for the purposes of zoning. Within such districts, the governing body can regulate and restrict construction or reconstruction, alteration, repair, and use of buildings and structures, and land use (15-1-601(b)). All regulations must be uniform for each class or kind of buildings within a district, but the regulations in one district can differ from those in different district (15-1-601(c)).

Building Permit Fees

Total Valuation
$1.00 to $500.00 $5.00
$501.00 to $2,000.00 $10.00
$2001.00 to $25,000.00 $35.00
$25,001.00 to $50,000.00 $100.00
$50,001.00 to $100,000.00 $200.00
$100,001.00 to $500,000.00 $639.50 for the first $100,000.00 plus $3.50 for each additional $1000.00 or fraction thereof to and including $500,000.00
$500,001.00 to $1,000,000.00 $2,039.50 for the first $500,000.00 plus $3.00 for each additional $1,000.00 or fraction thereof to and including $1,000,000.00
$1,000,001.00 and up $3,539.50 for the first $1,000,000.00 plus $2.00 for each additional $1,000.00 or fraction thereof
Renewal $25.00 or the cost of the original permit, whichever is less
Demolition- Any Amount $5.00

Special Permit Fees

All filings shall be accompanied by a $50.00 filing fee, plus $1.00 per lot for subdivisions.

Appeal Costs

Each notice of appeal shall be accompanied by a $50.00 fee for filing costs.


Residential - Single Family (R)

Uses: Permanent single family dwellings and two family duplexes

Residential - Mobile Home (RMH)

Uses: Single family mobile home on residential lot

Residential - High density (RHD)

Uses: Multiple family dwellings (apartments, condominiums), Churches, Parks, Hospitals and health care facilities, other uses which conform to the purpose of district

Mobile Home Park and Travel Trailer Park (MH/TTP)

Uses: Development where spaces are rented to owner/occupants

Mobile Home Subdivision

Uses: Development to provide lots for private ownership for single family mobile homes

Planned Unit Development (P.U.D)

Uses: Multiple land uses to include residential, industrial and public uses

Highway/General Business (GB)

Uses: Service stations, motels and hotels, drive-in restaurants, grocery and drug stores, professional offices, repair shops, auto washing establishments, bowling alleys, restaurants, convenience stores, financial institutions, retail stores

Light Industrial (LID)

Uses: Planned development of sites for clean, quiet, non-hazardous, industrial activity

Heavy Industrial (HID)

Uses: District establish for manufacturing, warehousing and livestock purposes requiring much open space. (this district covers railroad property)

Conservancy (C)

Establishes areas surrounding existing built-up areas of Chugwater which are vacant or in agriculture or grazing, or for areas which are undevelopable due to flood hazards, geologic hazards, or other constraints


Zoning Documents

Building Inspector and Building Permits

There is hereby established the position of Building Inspector, whose duty it shall be to enforce the provisions of this Development Code provided, however, his enforcing activities herein permitted and directed shall not prevent or abolish the rights of other persons and officials to enforce this code as is now or as it hereafter may be provided by statute.

The erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, moving or change of use of any building or structure shall not be commenced without obtaining a written building permit from the Building Inspector. No permit shall be issued by the Building Inspector unless he is satisfied, by review of the site plan and an onsite inspection, that the building or use contemplated complies with all provisions of his code. Building permit fees shall be collected by the Building Inspector in accordance with the Uniform Building Code and Town of Chugwater policies.

The application for each permit shall be accomplished by two copies of a drawing, to scale, giving a description of the lot or tract of land involved and showing the actual dimensions of the lot or tract to be built upon or used, the location, size and intended us of the proposed buildings and accessory buildings and such other information as may be required to facilitate the enforcement of his code. A complete record of all applications and drawings and of any action taken in connection therewith shall be kept in the office of the Building Inspector. All monies collected under the provisions of this code shall be deposited with the Town Treasurer in the general fund of the Town of Chugwater.

The Building Inspector shall issue no building permits nor permit building development within the proposed lines of any street on the official Major Street Plan or within the area of an obvious extension of an existing street.

Residential District (R)
Residential District-Mobile Home (RMH)
Residential- High Density District (RH)
Mobile Home Park- Travel Trailer Park District (MH-TTP)
Mobile Home Subdivision District (MHS)
Planned Unit Development District (PUD)
General-Highway Business District (G-HB)
Light Industrial District (LID)
Heavy Industrial District (HID)
Conservancy District (C)
Regulations Applicable To All Districts
Regulations For Non-Conforming Uses
Procedures For Special Permit Applications

Town of Chugwater | PO Box 243 | 248 2nd Street | Chugwater, WY 82210 | (307) 422-3493
©Chugwater, WY. All rights reserved. Hosted at Wyoming Websites by Jub Jub